JDE & Associates 1910

Completed: 2003 Project Cost: $100,000

Project Description

The successive owners of this house indicate the early history of the neighborhood as an enclave for Dutch immigrants.  Heine and Geertje Van der wal owned this house from 1910 until 1941, just down the street from their grocery store.  From 1917 the Van der wal’s daughter and her husband, John Velthouse, also lived here.  Velthouse worked as a gardener for the Freyling and Mendels Nursery at 1059 Wealthy.  Their son, Henry, continued to live in the house until 1953.  Following World War II, the nature of the neighborhood began to change as the children of the Dutch immigrants moved into other areas of the city and the houses came under absentee ownership.  The house was severely damaged by fire in late 1998.


The rehabilitation converted the structure into an office.

Tax Credit

  • State Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application
  • Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application


1025 Wealthy Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI